Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring is in the air

Well, except that it seems to look an awful lot like a continuation of winter.

Some of us in this house are really, really ready for Spring to work through the identity crisis and start showing us signs of new life and fresh starts.

Others of us are ecstatic to see winter not only last a littler longer, but to decide to bestow one last bit of snow upon us.

One boy in particular loves snow.  In fact, loves it is probably an understatement.  Few things bring him as much joy as the fluffy white stuff, even if it's just flurries. 

Regardless to whether you are in the "Snow at the end of March. Really???" or the fist pumping "Yes. SNOW!!!" camp, you can't deny that it is fun watching children enjoy it with wonder and excitement. 

Especially if you get to watch from inside while sipping a hot beverage and enjoying the quiet that comes from having them all outside for a few minutes.

Of course, not all kiddos like snow and we've sure had our share of that over the years.  We are at a point finally where all of them like it at least enough to tolerate it in small doses.

I'm not a huge fan of the cold or the wet snow really.  I've been known to play in it a bit, but mostly I find it annoying.  It's cold, wet, feels weird and all the mess it brings as my children trample in and out creates more work for me. Bah humbug!

I'm definitely ready for Spring (though not so much the allergies that come with it) and when you feel that way it's easy to grumble and complain when it seems winter will never end.

My first response to this storm was not very positive.  My second, third and fourth responses were admittedly along the same lines.

In an effort to bury my head in the sand and pretend it didn't exist, I pushed forward with my day, insisting my children finish their school and chores before even thinking about going outside.

Then, in the quiet moments while my children played in the snow and I watched from the kitchen window I began to ponder the moment.

I thought about my facebook feed and how many times I scroll through and see complaint after complaint about the weather. 

We are ready for Spring!
Then we complain about the allergies or the pollen on everything or the busy-ness of the schedule that comes from Spring activities.

We are ready for Summer!
Then we complain about the heat that never seems to end.

We are ready for Fall!
Then we complain that summer is winding down, the cold is coming and it's time to hibernate.

We are ready for the holidays that come with winter and some of us are ready for snow!
Then we complain about the busy-ness of the season. We rant about how the cold and dreary weather is getting old.

I don't just mean in the posts of my friends, I can look through and see these sentiments in my own postings too.  Way more often than I'd like to admit.

We can be a grumbly, discontent people can't we?

If not the weather, then...

work

kids

housecleaning

other parents

difficult circumstances

on and on the list goes. 


Some of us by personality are more prone to grumble and complain than others, but even the most joyful and content people I know have admitted struggling with being content at times.

As I thought about this, I realized I can't speak for others, but I know for me that much of my discontent, loss of joy and just general grumpiness seems to start when I put my focus on always waiting for the next moment.

How different things are when I choose joy in the moment I'm in rather than waiting for it to pass.

It isn't always easy to do that.

There are times when no matter how you look at it, there really isn't anything joyful to see.

Yet, even in those moments I think we can find joy in the unseen.  We can hold steadfast to the truth that God loves His people and is always working for their good even when we can't see it or understand it.

I'm a glass half empty kinda gal and my first inclination is almost always to see the negative...the hard, the extra work, the annoying, the inconvenient.

I can't say that these ponderings have led me to turn over a new leaf. 

No promises to never complain or to always see the good first.

What I can say, though, is that for today, for this moment I'm going to embrace the snow.

I'm going to say "Thank you" and see it not as an annoyance or a delay of Spring. 

Rather, I'm going to choose to see it as one last opportunity this winter to watch my children take delight in playing together and building snowmen.

I'm going to choose to be thankful that my children are able and willing to play in the snow instead of grumbling about the wet clothes and the slushy mess now on the family room floor.

I'm going to cherish the laughter and time together that came in the moments after their play as we ate a snack and sipped on tea around the table. 
The screaming that came shortly before,
the frustration that came when one child refused to come in because he had to complete what he started before he could switch gears,
the extra work of preparing tea and a snack that weren't planned...I'm letting all of that (and more) go.

I don't think we can always seize the day, nor do I think we need to cherish every moment. 

It's okay that there are moments we want to forget and days where surviving is a more realistic goal than grabbing it by the horns and yelling "Carpe Diem".

I do think, however, that we would do well to be present in each moment...

to live it...good and bad...and not miss it while we wait for the next one to come along.

Winter will eventually wind down,

Spring will be sprung

and while I shiver a little longer and stock up on tissues for allergy season,

I'm going to commit anew to looking a little harder for joy and contentment in the cracks and crevices of life's moments.

















1 comment:

  1. THis brought a weepy, love-filled tear to my eye. But, in truth, I cannot wait for the warmth of Spring; it carries with it the promise of time spent with you an the children, watching them play at the park with Nik. And the promise of the sun holding us gently in it's warm embrace.

    ReplyDelete